Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Beautiful City...


        (Ok, so I technically don't live in Raleigh but I was born there and I do go there practically every day so I do consider it my city.)

        Not everyone sees what I do in the City of Oaks but I have really come to appreciate it recently.  During the last several years Raleigh has slowly but surely transformed itself into an exciting, diverse, and sophisticated city with small-town charm.
         Raleigh is now home to world-class museums, international culture, art, and music festivals, eco-friendly initiatives, hundreds of restaurants and so many many trees!  It's been said that Raleigh is "a park with a city in it".
        People stop and strike up conversations on the street, they pet strangers' dogs, they hold the door for you.  For the most part it's clean, green, and peaceful.  Plus, I love the mix of old and new architecture downtown.  Downtown is my favorite part of the city and I try to get out there whenever I can.  It doesn't hurt that it's only 15-20 minutes away from my house.  I often drive through it in service but my favorite way to experience the city is going to First Friday.
        On the first friday of every month you'll find outdoor concerts in City Market, street performers and vendors, indie everything, restaurant deals, art galleries open late, free old movie screenings, and free food and wine all over the place.  Plus the R-Line bus is always free, as are the bicycle taxis (Raleigh Rickshaw-they work for tips), and you can get free parking in the public parking decks if you leave after 7pm (which you will).  You really can have a good time for almost nothing and discover something new while you're at it.  These are some pictures from our last First Friday in July.

 Free food and art gallery and views on 28th floor of Wells Fargo building

Hargett & Fayetteville Street

 He's painting the restaurant beside him

Fayetteville Street

Life-size sculpture of Renoir painting on the street

No comments:

Post a Comment